Child support will be an issue for any parent going through a divorce.  Generally, child support is ordered to be paid by the non-custodial parent, until the child reaches eighteen years of age AND has completed high school.  If the custodial parent has sought the help of the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS), enforcement of a support order may begin before expected.  If you have been contacted by DCSS for the payment of child support, it is important that you seek immediate legal help, from an attorney who practices custody and support law.

Typically, a DCSS action will begin when one party provides the agency with information that the other parent has failed to provide support for the child.  The DCSS is often aggressive in their attempts to collect support from the non-custodial parent, even when the information they have been provided is not completely true or accurate.  This sometimes leads to higher than necessary support orders for the parent who is ordered to make payments.

If child support is not paid, DCSS has the power to garnish pay checks, force parents to include children in health care plans, suspend or revoke driver’s licenses or other state issued licenses, and place liens on property or bank accounts to collect unpaid money.

Unfortunately, there are times when DCSS is necessary; but there are other times when mistakes are made and DCSS has gone after the wrong person or attempted to enforce an order against a person who is not behind on payments.  If you are facing a DCSS hearing, do not face it alone.  If you have questions regarding DCSS, Child Custody, or Child Support; the Law Office of Heath L. Baker will help you.  Contact us at 951-222-2228 or through our website;  We would love to talk to you in person and discuss whatever family law issues you might have.